Tuesday 24 January 2012

String Theory

This is not going to be a deeply intellectual post, despite the title: check out this website for the whole science behind String Theory, if that's what you're looking for....

Flamingos! #3 (Inagua: Day 2)

Honk! Adult flamingos on Great Inagua.


That being said, I'm not one to believe in magic, but I found this paragraph from the website oddly compelling in evaluating what I'm doing and thinking about where I want to go next....

We still don't know what the fundamental theory behind string theory is, but judging from all of these relationships, it must be a very interesting and rich theory, one where distance scales, coupling strengths and even the number of dimensions in spacetime are not fixed concepts but fluid entities that shift with our point of view.

Flamingos! #7 (Inagua: Day 2)

Juvenile flamingos: they turn pink when they are ready to breed.

The current gist of string theory seems to presume eleven dimensions. Well, OK, I can relate to that: I discovered this afternoon that one of my major grant applications is due February 1, not March 1, so I'm scrambling to get some supporting documentation.

And then I'll fill out their forms after I finish a residency deadline due tomorrow.

Roseate Spoonbill #2 (Inagua: Day 2)

Roseate spoonbill flying to the breeding swamp on Great Inagua.

If I could wave my magic wand, everyone would get to see roseate spoonbills in the wild.

Portholes #3

Porthole with shadows and light on the way to Spanish Wells and Harbour Island.

There's light, and shadow, and all sorts of really architectural things happening in my life: I am made from the dust of the stars, and I know there will be some sort of rationalization eventually.

From sublime to ridiculous

Anna Nicole Smith's abandoned house: I saw a lot of places like this in Nassau.

My head feels like this some days: perhaps it's because I radiate more heat than light....

(Song lyric quotes in italics from Presto by Rush.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books for Sale

The shop is currently empty.