Tuesday 29 April 2008

Roll the presses....

Ready to print

It took most of yesterday afternoon, but I finished carving out the lino block I wanted to use to print my bookplates.

Oddly enough, I found this Celtic ornament carved into some brownstone that was capping off a stairrail in front of a very elegant private home near my hotel in New York City's Upper West Side. Liked it so much, I had to have a picture, and it looks quite nice here too.

This afternoon, I made 100 3.5"-square prints of this -- the type is set and will be run tomorrow -- which, surprisingly, took a little less than two hours. I could get real used to doing letterpress work.

Just what I don't need: more equipment to go along with yet-another new jargon collection. My brain already aches from everything I've had to absorb in the last nine days.

This morning, I trimmed, sewed, backed, and lined the spine on a lovely letterpressed text block of an original story (autographed even) by Philip Roth. I'm using some of my marbled papers from last week as the endpapers and cover, and also gold-stamping the title on the spine.

Case-building and stamping will be tomorrow morning's fun and excitement.

But now it's time to go home, pour myself a beverage, and fix some dinner....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books for Sale

The shop is currently empty.