Monday 25 February 2008

When you look like your passport photo...

moi

it's time to go on a vacation.

Because of my upcoming adventure back to my old stomping grounds in the Mid-Atlantic States, I need a new passport, and the rules have been changed a bit since my last one. No glasses allowed, no smiling, no frowning: I hope I look suitably blank in the pictures taken this morning. After getting my guarantor to sign, I'm off to the passport office to queue up.

And then I'll get everything booked: I've pretty much got a plan of where and when I'm going to be, as that's controlled, for the most part, by the dates of the classes I'm taking with Don Rash and the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, but there are a zillion details.

With limited time for "recreational" activities outside of my class, I'm having to come up with detailed itineraries for my pre-course weekend in New York City, and the drive between Wilkes-Barre, PA, the Howard County Fairgrounds (for MS&WF), and to finally decide if I indeed want to visit my old neighbourhood in suburban Virginia, where I spent 4.5 years before moving back to Calgary 10.5 years ago.

In some ways, that part of my life has essentially disappeared, and not just because I divorced the husband I had when I lived there. I kept in touch with our former next-door neighbour for awhile, but haven't heard from her in years, and areas can change as much as, if not more than, the people who once lived there.

At least I know, thanks to Google, if I go, there is still a great Chinese take-out, a wonderful Irish pub, and a handy Metro stop for me to revisit.

But the jury is still out, at least until the end of the week, as to what I'm going to end up doing, and even then, it won't be written in stone.

1 comment:

  1. Well, welcome (back) to the US - such as it is! I hope you have a GREAT time. Let me know if you're ever headed to Chicago.
    I'm headed to Ragdale in two days, will be there till March 26, woohoo to us both!

    ReplyDelete

Books for Sale

The shop is currently empty.