Friday 7 December 2007

Class Books

Book models
It was a nasty, dark, cold, windy, snowy day here last Sunday: just the sort of day any normal person would take one look at, then pull the covers over their head, and go back to sleep.

Of course, I got up, lugged a big bag of stuff (cutting board etc.) over to the bus, and took a day-long class on accordion books with Cathryn Miller. Am I ever glad I did! Some of my creations from that fun and busy day are pictured above: if you click on the picture, it will take you to Flickr, where I added some descriptions of each item.

And by the time I got home, after just missing a bus and having to wait at the cold and windy bus stop in the dark for more than half an hour, I was convinced that this was going to be a really crummy week.

Well, weather-wise, it sure has: today is the first day with lots of sunshine and I feel so much more energetic.

But book-wise, it's been great, as I received a letter from the Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild in response to the three books I entered in their Art of the Book 08 competition. The Zebra Book (below) made the first cut of entries and I will be sending it to Toronto in the new year for the second stage of judging.



The other problem I've been wrestling with is what to do about the cover of What I Felt: I've got two great pieces of felt that I've made, and an increasing wariness of using them on the boards for the covers. Their thickness, in particular, is something I'm not entirely convinced really works here.

So I'm definitely looking at using paper on the boards instead, and using the felt to make an enclosure instead: this is certainly influenced by discussions that arose in my class with Cathryn.

This book is one I want to get done with soon: it will need to be photographed before I send it off to Victoria for the Pacific Festival of the Book.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative and hands-on. That's what I like about it, that you're grappling with unknown factors that would put most people off. But for a person as plucky as you are Linda, you're sure to rise to the creative challenge.

    Jimmy Cat like!

    ReplyDelete

Books for Sale

The shop is currently empty.